Book Spotlight: Slated & Fractured

Thursday 23 January 2014

Hello lovelies! How are we all finding the January blues? The last few weeks have been pretty busy for myself with coursework hand-ins and exams for Uni, as you probably could have guessed this meant my blogging took a back seat. But I am back and with vengeance. Reading is something I have always been passionate about, ever since I was really young I would read almost every night before I went to bed. Throughout high-school I stopped doing this - reading wasn't exactly the "coolest" thing, so I only picked up a book occasionally. After started Uni a few years ago, I really got back into it. I read most days and nights when I can and this year have already read three books. Once I find a good book I just can't put it down.   



Two of the three books I've read this year included Teri Terry's dystopian thriller trilogy. The first book, Slated, follows a young girl Kyla who has had here memories "slated". The government, Lorders, in a bid to reduce the number of criminals erases any young teen's minds before the age of 16 who have committed any crimes. This leaves Kyla in a hospital after all her memories from her life before have been erased. She no longer know who she is or what she has said to have done. 

Slated Blurb:
The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla's mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?   

The book follows Kyla as she is rehomed and left to stay with a new family, it explores her struggle in trying to to fit into this new life and her determination to find out why she was slated in the first place. She meets a few questionable characters along the way and meets Ben, whom she falls for. Without giving too much away about the second book, Fractured, uncovers many secrets surrounding Kyla's new and past life while she must try to figure out who she can really trust with all of her secrets. But all is not what it seems.

Fractured Blurb: 
Kyla shouldn't remember anything from before she was Slated, but dark secrets of her past will not stay buried. Caught in a tug of war between Lorder oppression and the fight for freedom, her past and present race towards a collision she may not survive. While her desperate search for Ben continues, who can she trust in the world of secrets and lies?

I really loved both of these books and cannot wait for the third instalment, Shattered, to be released in March of this year. I am an avid young adult reader and especially love dystopian novels. I really connected with the characters that Terry created. Although I found the first book lacked a lot of action, the second certainly made up for it. If you loved books like the Hunger Games and Uglies, I can assure you you will love this too. 

For those of you that have read the series, or are interested to find out more you can do so by clicking here. Which will lead you to Teri Terry's website. If any of you are interested also, Terry is touring and will be at the Waterstones in Livingston on the 29th of January where she will be doing a Q&A and book signing. This is between 6.30 - 7.30. I think I am going to go, if I can. I would love to know if you are going to be there too. Leave me a comment! 

Blog soon little ones.



No comments:

Post a Comment